Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

6 months

Wow!  I can't believe it, we have already been here almost 6 months.  We have experienced so much and yet have only scratched the surface.  What I have learned so far?  That I need to learn the language! I have to admit, I really haven't put hardly any effort yet - why?  You got me. We have been  My brother supplied me with some great resources to learn the language and starting today I will use them everyday.  Both Steve and I have said that we are now able to pick out words here and there and at least get an idea what is being said.  We have a "kindergarten" style Korean alphabet chart hanging on our kitchen wall, that will also start becoming our daily practice.

I joined a photography group here because I would like to learn some new techniques to capture some of these spectacular sights.  As of right now, I have been mostly only using my auto settings and missing some great shots if I only knew more about shutter speed, aperture and ISO - I will conquer this!

Steve and I are really enjoying our time here.  We have made some friends and are getting around the country pretty well.  Last weekend our friend Steve B. gave us hands on training on how to use the subway here.  Yahoo!  Now it makes sense but will have to keep practicing because it is still a bit confusing since we're still not familiar with locations of many of the cities.

Love love love the farmers markets here!!!  All sorts of different fresh produce; prepared varieties of kimchi; Korean treats; seafood; and cooked food are sold there.  I have been to a few in Korea but so far my favorite is right here in Pyeongtaek.  We are still considered the country area so prices are very reasonable and the selection is wonderful.  Here is one of the pics that I captured during one of my trips to the market.  They are soooo cute!!!!


Things we miss about the States...our family of course.  We also miss Costco and Trader Joes!  We also miss the luxury of just being able to go anywhere and reading all the signs, menus and instructions.  In time, this should change for us as we learn the language.

The highlight of this adventure has to be meeting my Korean family for the first time in my life.  Since I've been here I have met my grandmother; my aunt and her family and my uncle and his wife so far.  It was surreal.  We haven't seen each other much lately but that is because of our language barrier.  I kept finding myself starring at my grandmother and comparing her features with my mother and also watching my mother interact with her sister - it was fantastic and like a dream!  The picture below from left to right is: Haeson (cousin); my aunt; my grandmother; my mother; and I.


I will try to keep up with this blog so that one day I too can look back after this adventure is over and enjoy the good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment